Old Machine Room Access Control
The Machine Room Access Control system incorporates a proximity card reader and electric strike; it regulates access to the Machine Room. It was in use in the old Machine Room in 115. It has been replaced with the new Machine Room Access Control system as of April 2015.
The proximity card reader and the electric strike were ordered in the summer of 2004 by Dan Tran. The system was set up and configured before the school year started, but the electric strike was not mounted into the door jamb until late 2004, when Mr. Bridges (the building engineer) installed it.
The Avea AL2730F FlexProx Proximity Card Access Controller uses the 125 kHz RFID standard. It is hooked up to a Very Small Trine Electric Strike for Metal Frames, which can use an AC voltage of 8 to 16 VAC or a DC voltage of 3 to 6 VDC. Currently, it is powered by DC voltage. Note that it is known that AC voltage (which when used will create the familiar "door buzz" sound) will wear out the electric strike more quickly than DC voltage.
The proximity card reader manual can be found online and behind the reader itself. Two administration RFID cards (labeled MASTER and ACTION) are required to add, delete, or essentially modify any card permissions. If these cards are lost, they can be reset using a jumper setting - check the manual for more information.
The proximity card reader is connected to a small UPS hidden under the floor in the Machine Room.
The card number of each access card should be recorded for security and audit purposes. If the card is ever lost, this allows the correct card to be removed from the list of authorized access cards.
Access to the Machine Room may be issued to authorized users that meet one of these requirements:
- User is a student systems administrator of the TJHSST Computer Systems Lab.
- User has full root access on a production system in the Machine Room.
- User is a teacher or staff member of TJHSST who originally has access to the Machine Room through a normal key. Note that a normal key will still function in the Machine Room door lock.
Use of Access
An authorized user may:
- Enter the Machine Room.
- Allow a non-authorized individual(s) to accompany the authorized user into the Machine Room only if the individual(s) needs to interact with systems in the Machine Room, and only with permission of a current student systems administrator. This non-authorized individual must be escorted by the authorized user (i.e. they cannot be left alone in the Machine Room).
Outside visitors touring the school are allowed to tour the Machine Room. A student systems administrator or TJHSST staff member must be present to supervise the visitor's actions. The visitor should NOT receive an access card for the duration of their visit.
Contractors and other maintenance individuals that require access to the Machine Room for a length of time greater than one day may be issued an access card for the duration of their visit. They must return the access card to the CSL immediately after completion of predetermined task.
Access to the Machine Room may be revoked if:
- User gives/shares an access card to/with other non-authorized individual (this does not include allowing non-authorized individual(s) access to the machine room for temporary reasons).
- User violates the TJHSST Computer Systems Lab Policy, TJHSST Network User Guidelines, or FCPS Acceptable Use Policy.
- User graduates from/leaves (students/staff) TJHSST. This is usually June of the graduation year for students.
This policy may be modified for certain special cases at any time. The CSL director or teacher has the final word on any conflict.
Avea proximity card reader
- AL2730F product page on Avea's site
- AL2730F manual (pdf)
- AL2730F on The Keyless Lock Store - The system was originally purchased here.
- Compatible RFID cards on The Keyless Lock Store - Replacement RFID cards should be ordered here.
- Compatible RFID keyfobs on The Keyless Lock Store - Replacement RFID keyfobs should be ordered here. These should be for teachers and staff only, as the keyfobs cannot accomodate an ID sticker.
Trine electric strike
- Electric strike product page on Trine's site
- Electric strike template (pdf)
- Electric strike catalog page (pdf)
- Very Small Trine Electric Strike For Metal Frames on The Keyless Lock Store - The electric strike was originally purchased here.