Nagios/Adding a Custom host
This guide is on how to setup a new host with a custom monitoring method. Important definitions are:
- Host - A node monitored by nagios
- Plugin - Custom monitoring scripts for types of hosts. Go in the /etc/nagios/plugins directory. Plugins can be run by executing them in the command line with arguments, or automatically by nagios.
- Command - Defined as a command that runs a plugin with the correct arguments in the command line and a name.
- Service - Defined by a name, command, set of hosts to use, and a type.
- Add the plugin to the /etc/nagios/plugins/ directory.
- Add a command to the /etc/nagios/commands.cfg configuration file
- Copy and edit a configuration file in /etc/nagios/services
- Define hosts in /etc/nagios/hosts/ for every host you wish to monitor