Machine Room Access Control
The Machine Room Access Control system incorporates a proximity card reader and electric strike; it regulates access to the Machine Room. It is located inside the room itself, to the left of the door.
The proximity card reader and the electric strike were ordered in the summer of 2004 by Dan Tran. The system was set up and configured before the school year started, but the electric strike was not mounted into the door jamb until late 2004, when Mr. Bridges (the building engineer) installed it.
The Avea AL2730F FlexProx Proximity Card Access Controller uses the 125kHz RFID standard. It is hooked up to a Very Small Trine Electric Strike for Metal Frames, which can use an AC voltage of 8 to 16 VAC or a DC voltage of 3 to 6 VDC. Currently, it is powered by DC voltage. Note that it is known that AC voltage (which when used will create the familiar "door buzz" sound) will wear out the electric strike more quickly than DC voltage.
The proximity card reader manual can be found online and behind the reader itself. Two administration RFID cards (labeled MASTER and ACTION) are required to add, delete, or essentially modify any card permissions. If these cards are lost, they can be reset using a jumper setting - check the manual for more information.
- TODO: Explain recording of RFID card numbers for security and audit purposes.
- TODO: Explain policy: Machine Room Access Control Policy
Avea proximity card reader
- AL2730F product page on Avea's site
- AL2730F manual (pdf)
- AL2730F on The Keyless Lock Store - The system was originally purchased here.
- Compatible RFID cards on The Keyless Lock Store - Replacement RFID cards should be ordered here.
- Compatible RFID keyfobs on The Keyless Lock Store - Replacement RFID keyfobs should be ordered here. These should be for teachers and staff only, as the keyfobs cannot accomodate an ID sticker.
Trine electric strike
- Electric strike product page on Trine's site
- Electric strike template (pdf)
- Electric strike catalog page (pdf)
- Very Small Trine Electric Strike For Metal Frames on The Keyless Lock Store - The electric strike was originally purchased here.