Discussion Agenda archive 1
If there is anything that needs to be/should be discussed in a sysadmin meeting, please list it here - also, if you add something to a topic, remember to add your username to the section:
Donated equipment from Aristotle International
- Rack space
- Power requirements
- Additional UPSs?
- Red plugs
- Equipment usage
- Site placement - syslab, 119s, etc
- Full backup system that handles most (all if possible) data in the lab - "protect the data"
- Online backups for AFS (yesterday directory) - uses COW, so this doesn't take much storage if done regularly. Use "vos backupsys <volprefix>".
- Off-site backup
Cleanup of AFS
- Clean the service directory
- Archive everything that is no longer in use
- Archive everything that is no longer useful
- One home directory per user
- Web-docs volumes?
- Audit permissions on all directories, including web, etc
- Other cleanup tasks
High availability / load balancing
- Currently we have almost zero high availability for most services, this needs to change - also, we need to test high availability functions for services in which it supposedly should work
- Kerberos (does it work?)
- Remote - loadbalanced and high availability
- Workstation service ip, so I can ssh to workstation, and it will redirect me to the workstation with the lowest load?
- Zimbra (can we make it work, even though the "community" edition does not include it)
- Other services
No HA will be implemented until all systems are stable and functioning normally. (Determined at the Lunch Meetings)
Additional "Services" To offer
- Form submission on tjhsst.edu/admin/ or tjhsst.edu/syslab or papers on the wall for web accounts, mysql stuff, etc.
Enable Dynamic Power Savings Mode on Intel HPs
- Note to Lee: I have had no bad experiences with laptop power savings features (from an ancient P1 Toshiba to a 1-2 yr old IBM) and I was unable to find any problems online (either with laptops or with HP's) after a quick Google search. Please provide some links. FYI it is OS-independent.
- HP's website