Difference between revisions of "Discussion Agenda archive 1"
m (Cleanup of old discussion points)
Revision as of 22:13, 17 September 2010
If there is anything that needs to be/should be discussed in a sysadmin meeting, please list it here.
Topics are arranged by priority with the most important at the top.
Northrop Grumman donation
- Moving the Sun rack?
- Specifications of Itanium nodes (use as VM hosts?)
- Cabling provided - power, Infiniband, ethernet
- Switches provided - just ethernet?
- Power requirements? Cooling?
- When would we get the equipment?
- Kiosk deployment - status?
- Smartcards with or instead of student IDs
- Move to L1 because of NG grant?
- Power & networking requirements
- Sun Ray donation from Chantilly HS
Budget & purchases
- 10 GigE uplink to main switch - when?
- 48 port GigE module?
- Consolidate and update servers
- Itanium nodes as VM hosts? hard drives included?
- RFID cards MIA with graduated students
- Current list of owners
Password card access
- SSH keys when needed; root only for lead admins?
- LDAP sysadmin auth for servers
- Full backup system that handles most (all if possible) data in the lab - "protect the data"
- Mainly a policy about how often the backup should be run.
- AFS Backups (more than .backup volumes)
- Integrate with the big backup system, or run separately?
- "Off-site" backups?
- Would actually need to be "offsite," not ten feet from the edge of the lab (119s).
Cleanup of AFS
- Clean the service directory
- Archive everything that is no longer in use
- Archive everything that is no longer useful
- One home directory per user
- Web-docs volumes?
- Audit permissions on all directories, including web, etc
- Other cleanup tasks
Additional "Services" To offer
- Postgresql (?)
Enable Dynamic Power Savings Mode on Intel HPs
- Note to Lee: I have had no bad experiences with laptop power savings features (from an ancient P1 Toshiba to a 1-2 yr old IBM) and I was unable to find any problems online (either with laptops or with HP's) after a quick Google search. Please provide some links. FYI it is OS-independent.
- HP's website