Current Program Goals
This page is a working version of the Sysadmin program's current high-level short, medium, and long-term goals. Small tasks which are part of these high-level goals should be put on , not here.
- Migrate VM storage still on Fryingpan to Apocalypse. Multiple VMs located on Fryingpan have recently been encountering I/O errors, so this is a top priority to ensure no loss of data occurs.
- Acquire more storage for Apocalypse. Right now, Apocalypse is over 70% capacity. More disks should be purchased and we should add an additional vdev to the Apocalypse pool.
- Fix issues we have been experiencing with Kerberos/our cross-domain trust by moving to a MIT Kerberos KDCs from our Heimdal KDCs.
- Set up / finish setting up the three new G6s we acquired as VM servers.
- Migrate VMs from and decommission Vega, due to aging hardware.
- Put the finishing touches on the new HPC cluster and open it up for use by the general student/staff body.
- Streamline home directory and slurm account creation
- Write usage policy
- Set up an additional www VM and load balance the two VMs. Our web traffic is steadily increasing and webserver reliability would receive a significant boost from such load balancing.
- Use Salt to streamline the Workstation imaging process.
- Migrate from a joint Nginx/Apache setup to Nginx-only on WWW.
- Move web files outside of AFS, possibly to a shared NFS mount stored on Sonic, to decrease latency.
- Improve security for user web sandboxes.